The Guggenheim, NYC


The Guggenheim is an architectural masterpiece, one designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1943 and despite the large crowds it was surprisingly serene inside. I enjoyed my visit, it was definitely one of the places on my hit list, however I was disappointed to see the cost of entry was $18 per adult (ouch!). Many of the larger NY attractions and art institutions carried a similar price tag, if not more, which saddened me. Such a cost creates a clear divide and carries an unfortunate and disappointing message. A message that suggests art and culture is for the wealthy or elite. This is not a view that I care to share. Art wise, Felix Gonzalez-Torres and Roni Horns joint installation was the highlight of my Guggenheim experience.

About Me

A Royal Academy of Arts graduate, currently living and working in London. www.alanalake.co.uk